abbreviated summary of some of the more interesting aspects of the trip.
to Lori, Bob and Lucian for the list
sure there's a few gaps but hopefully all pertinent and relative data
will be fully and accurately refined, updated, enhanced with links before
the next eclipse!
- 1. Saturday 7-31
- a. Arrive aboard Sultan-A and Olympus at Bodrum
- b. Sleep across from the throbbing disco
- 2. Sunday 8-1
- a. TV coverage
- b. 12:05 pm. Olympus departs Bodrum
- c. 12:10 pm. Sultan.A departs Bodrum
- d. 1:04 pm. N 36:54'44.6" E 027:19'43.4" enroute
- e. 1:52 pm N 37:00'19.4" E 027:13'11.8"
- f. 5:40 pm. Depart swimming area
- g. 6:10 pm. N 37:00'19.5" E 027:13'11.1"
- h. 6:30 pm. Molly is taken ashore for bar supplies
- i. 8:00 pm. Molly makes her first pitcher
- j. 8:40 pm. Dinner is served
- 3.Monday 8-2
- a. 6:20 am. Depart Yalikavak
- b. 6:22 am. N 37:03'23.7" E 027:114'00.8"
- c. 8:29 am. N 37:20"54.3" E 027:16'37.0"
- d. 8:35 am. Raft up at Altinkum for a swim and breakfast
- e. Most of us go ashore to tour Didyma and Miletus
- f. 10:00 am. N 37:20'35.2" E 027:16'38.0"
- g. 10:00 am. Depart Altinkum - Molly rides aboard Sultan-A
- h. 3:15 pm. Arrive at Kusadasi
- i. Tourists of Didyma and Miletus rejoin the ships
- j. Coin op laundry available at the marina
- k. Impromptu dance contest
- 4. Tuesday 8-3
- a. 8:15 am. Depart marina on the blue bus
- b. 8:45 am. Tour Ephesus - 2 hours
- c. 12:10 pm. Sultan.A departs Bodrum
- d. 11:45 am. Tour other ruins
- e. Also tour Virgin Mary's house before noon
- f. 1:40 pm. Return to Kusadasi marina
- g. 2:39 pm. N 37:52'14.3" E 027:15'39.9"
- h. 2:40 pm. Depart Kusadasi
- i. Rougher than usual seas - a few white caps
- j. 5:01 pm. N 38:00'59.5 E 026:55'05.6" enroute
- k. 7:19 pm. N 38:08'27.8 E 026:35'30.3"
- l. 7:25 pm. Raft up together in a little cove - swimming and snorkeling
- m. Best star gazing of the trip
- 5. Wednesday 8-4
- a. 9:10 am. Depart our little cove
- b. 10:05 am. Find scientists hiding in the rocks
- c. 10:20 am. Depart archaeological dive site
- d. 10:22 N 39:08'06.1" E 026:30'55.9"
- e. 1:30 pm. Arrive at Cesme
- f. Four of us take Turkish baths
- g. Several of us dine at the Penguen Restaurant
- 6. Thursday 8-5
- a. 9:50 am. Already underway
- b. 11:21 am. N 39:04'05.6" E 026:53'04.1"
- c. 11:30 am. Arrive somewhere
- d. 11:40 am. Depart on blue bus for our first tour with Memet
- e. 12:15 pm. Tour ruins surrounded by military tanks - one hour
- f. 3:30 pm. Tour Pergamon - one hour
- g. 5:00 pm.Tour the Red Hall
- h. 7:00 pm.Rug Shopping!
- i. 8:10 pm. Find ships waiting at Kucukkuyu
- j. 8:23 pm. N 39:32'44.5" E 026:35'12.3"
- 7. Friday 8-6
- a. 9:00 am. Already underway
- b. 9:41 am. N 40:02'27.4" E 026:17'17.2" enroute
- c. 10:10 am. Observed government boarding of container ship
- d. 11:08 am N 40:09'01.5" E 026:24'03.6"
- e. 11:45 am.. Tricky docking at Canakkale
- f. 11:55 am. Depart on the Blue Bus
- g. Lunch at a Hotel
- h. 2:20 pm. Tour Troy - one hour
- i. 3:55 pm. Arrive at ferry back at Canakkale
- j. 4:10 pm. Watch ferry leave without us
- k. 4:30 pm. Board smaller ferry - half hour crossing
- l. 5:20 pm. Enter Dardenelles war memorials area
- m. 6:40 pm. Depart Dardenelles war memorials area
- n. 7:25 pm. Find our ships in Galipolu at the ferry terminal N 40:24'16.2"
- o. 8:06 Draw a crowd of local people to watch Americans party
- p. Sultan-A takes a chunk out of poor Olympus at the dock
- 8. Saturday 8-7
- a. 11:30 am. Anchor for lunch N 40:58'37.6" E 027:31'41.2"
- b. Jellyfish are everywhere, we all decline a stop for swimming
- c. 5:30 pm. First use of a sail, a jib on each ship
- d. 8:20 Sultan-A arrives at Atkoy Marina, Istanbul. Olympus arrives
10 minutes later
- e. 8:39 pm. N 40:58'18.9" E 027:31'41.2"
- f. Passengers Kim and Steve join the Olympus for the seconf half
- 9. Sunday 8-8
- a. 9:15 am. Depart the marina on the Blue Bus
- b. 10:00 am. Tour the Blue Mosque
- c. 11:15 am. Tour Topkapi Palace
- d. 12:40 pm. Rug shopping oppourtunity/check out the Grand Bazaar
- e. 3:40 pm. Tour Haggia Sophia
- f. 4:40 pm. Take the bridge across the Bosphorous to Asia
- g. 5:30 pm. Traffic jam at the bazaar
- h. 6:05 pm. Enter Sile
- i. 6:30 pm. Arrive at Sile wharf, no name bar, no ships, fort with
- j. 8:10 pm. Sunset and ships arrive
- k. 8:30 pm. laundry sorting party
- 10. Monday 8-9
- a. John is the last to see the moon over the fort with the face
- b. 6:35 am. Depart Sile
- c. 4:10 pm. Attempt to anchor at Zonguldak
- d. 4:35 pm. Depart Zonguldak due to industrial fumes
- e. 5:25 pm. Dolphin encounter on Sultan-A
- f. 6:36 pm. N 41:27'19.8" E 013:39'32.0"
- g. 7:25 pm. Arrive somewhere
- 11. Tuesday 8-10
- a. 8:45 am. Depart somewhere
- b. 8:46 am. N 41:27'19.8" E 031:47'10.4"
- c. 9:15 pm. More dolphins pass nearby
- d. 1:00 pm. Arrive in Amasra N 41:44'53.2" E 032:47'10.4"
- e. Swimming in harbor - anti-Bob demonstrates sailing prowess
- f. 2:25 pm Dan's eclipse briefing
- g. predicted first contact - 12:56 pm.
- h. predicted second contact (totality) 2:21 pm.
- i. predicted duration 2:06 to 2:12 minutes
- j. 5:20 pm Turks in costume anchor briefly nearby
- k. More dolphins sighted in harbor
- l. 6:10 pm. Ships move from anchorage to wharf
- m. Several of us find the hamburger restaurant for dinner
- n. Others make their way to a lovely waterfront Seafood Restaurant
- 12. Wednesday 8-11 ECLIPSE DAY!
- a. 5:35 am. Depart Amasra
- b. Sunrise over coastal hills
- c. 8:55 am. Arrive at Cide N 41:54'05.0" E 032:43'03.1"
- d. 11:30 am. Mayor of Cide boards Olympus for fun and photos
- e. 11:45 am. Depart Cide into the Black Sea
- f. Pro Bob and Meltem remain on shore
- g. 1:00 pm. First contact has passed
- h. 2:13 pm. N 42:00'12.5" E 032:43'20.0"
- i. 2:19 pm. Totality! for a bit more than 2 minutes
- j. Champagne for everyone!
- k. 3:40 pm. Arrive at Kurucasile - fourth (last) contact - bye-bye
- l. 4:35 pm. Pro Bob arrives with Meltem
- m. Swimming in harbor - anti-Bob shows off (again!) how to sail
- n. 7:55 pm. Sunset
- 13. Thursday 8-12
- a. Depart very early, motor west all day, approx 18 hours total
- b. Turkish fighter jets buzz overhead, we are too close to their
- c. 5:20 pm. Stop to take a swim in the Black Sea
- d. 5:30 Olympus catches up and starts swimming
- e. 5:40 pm. Sultan-A hoists sails, Olympus shipmates still in water
- f. 5:45 pm. Finally turn off engines
- g. 6:05 pm. Restart engines
- h. 8:43 pm. Observe massive power failure in Kefken on land-whole
coastline goes dark
- i. 9:00 pm. Paddelboat arrives with bread
- j. 9:10 pm. Bread is transferred between ships as we move
- k. Arrive again in Sile
- 14. Friday 8-13
- a. 9:35 am. Pro Bob takes a group shout of the Olympus
- b. 10:35 am Depart Sile
- c. Melissa rides aboard the Olympus with camcorder
- d. 1:15 pm. Anchor for a final swim and lunch somewhere in the
- e. 2:30 pm. Depart swimming area
- f. 3:35 pm. Pass under bridge we crossed over on Blue Bus
- g. 3:55 pm Pass Topkapi and Blue Mosque
- h. 5:00 pm Arrive again at the Istanbul Marina
- i. Ali meets us with photos and tomorrowa paper
- j. 5:40 David takes group photo of Sultan-A
- k. Dinner on the town
- 15. Saturday 8-14
- a. Time to depart for most passengers
- b. A few decide to stick around to see more of Istanbul
- c. If they stay more than 2 days, they're in for a BIG surprise